BBTC is the second largest in the Eastern Suburbs and the 10th largest of the 48 clubs affiliated to Auckland Tennis Inc. With teams playing Caro Bowl and Ferrier Cup, we are proud of our depth and strength. In saying that, we are known throughout Auckland as being a truly family orientated club with a very strong Junior programme. It is the spirit of the club that we are most proud of and sets us apart.
The Bucklands Beach Tennis Club is located on the beautiful Bucklands Beach peninsula at Roger’s Park. Eastern Beach (a popular local beach), can be seen from our balcony so bring your togs, it’s only a short 100m walk and definitely worth checking out!
We aspire to maintain our facilities at the highest standards possible. The club has recorded a number of strong financial performances over the past years and reinvests in maintaining its infrastructure. We also have one of the lowest fee structures in the Eastern Suburbs.
The land on the Buckland’s and Eastern Beach peninsula was owned by Mr Alfred Buckland until 1916 when it was acquired and jointly administered by Messrs Buckland, Waller and Eliott, forming the Buckland’s Beach syndicate.
From the mid-1920’s onwards the syndicate members began subdividing the land and in the process were required by law to set aside “Greenbelts” as public reserves.
Towards the end of that decade, MrE. Eliott became aware of the growing interest in providing bowling and tennis facilities. He obtained permission from his syndicate partners to donate to the Domain Board flat land on the corner of what is now Devon Road and Morrow Avenue.
In 1926 the Buckland’s & Eastern Beaches Tennis Club was formed.
A levy of 10 pounds to provide facilities was struck which entitled the founding members of the club to life membership.
In 1973 the Tennis Club was relocated to its present site at, Jern Place Eastern Beach and the facilities were expanded to provide 6 artificial all weather flood lit courts.